Should I stay in school hostel or not? What are the major benefits of school hostel life and why do you think I should not live in the University hostel? These are the top questions asked by newly admitted students in addition to schools fees and course registration queries. I have spent quite sometime in school hostel and at such has alot to offer as regards the topic at hand.
In this article, I will be listing out 8 disadvantages of school hostels and 5 reasons you should not think of living in the hostel. This piece is scientifically compiled based on findings from major Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education across Nigeria. The following are Universities and Polytechnics I shall emphasise on: Covenant University, Federal University of Technology Owere (FUTO), University of Benin (UNIBEN), University Of Lagos (UNILAG), Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), University of Illorin (UNILORIN), Abu Zaria, Ambrose Alli University (AAU), Auchi Polytechnic, Lagos State University (LASU), University of Portharcourt (UNIPORT), University of Ibadan (UI), Laspotech and many more. Trust me, I will try to make this topic as interesting as possible.
Are you ready for the comparison? Take a glass of chilled water, tighten your seat belt and let’s begin the interesting journey.
8 Reasons You Should Stay In School Hostel:
1. Hostel Is Relatively Secure: You want to graduate right? Then security should be your number one priority. School hostels are more secure compared to off campus. With every passing day, we hear gist about how arm robbers attack students who live outside hostels and take most valuable properties from them. I have not heard or experienced gun attack inside campus hostels mind you, am not saying it doesn’t occur, its rare! Another common security threat outside campus is cultism. Cultists operate more outside campus than school hostels.
2. You Will Learn To Tolerate People: Some species of persons and behaviours you will find in school hostels will make you wonder whether those guys were made in the image of God. However, you would be able to cope and tolerate them. Before now, you always feel that everyone has to think and act the way you do; but you are wrong. Just the way our faces differ, so also does our hearts and characters differ. Meeting different persons makes you understand and begin to take them for who they are. Hostel fosters relationship building. There is a common belief that you can stay anywhere in the world if you
can survive in school hostels. That’s because the school hostel has exposed you and able to make you solve compatibility issues.
3. You Will Have Broader Knowledge: You will be surrounded by students across various faculties and departments. Interacting with them will help you know more about other fields of study. Meeting different persons will also make you know more about life. I have been able to know more about Medicine, Pharmacy, Accounting, Law, Biochemistry, Mathematics, Nursing, Agric and other beautiful courses most especially computer science because of the privilege I had to live with students from those departments and faculties. This is possible because the school hostel allows students in various departments to come together. Apart from knowing more about their courses and departments, the school hostel also gives you the opportunity to meet persons from different states and tribes. In this case you would be able to learn other languages and
know more about places you have not been to. You will as well learn how to prepare different kind of dishes. In one way or the other, you will always meet amazing people that you would love to be like. Your senior colleagues could also be in the same room with you to give you materials and advice ahead of time.
4. Reading Enthusiasm: The school hostel has been able to dramatically boost my reading habit. Your reading life will likely increase by ten fold if you live in the school hostel. Every minute, you will see persons going to night classes to read. There are
times you won’t find anyone left in your room and you will be like, “na me come dull pass?”. The next thing is for you to also take your things and push to night class or reading room. No matter how good you are at reading, you will find persons who read far more than you in the school hostel. I have seen people read for more than 24 hours straight and I have done it many times too. The school hostel has a way of boosting your reading habit and enthusiasm. In addition, you result will likely be better (get good result) in your first year if you live in school hostel. You will be too comfortable if you live alone or with just one persons outside school. Off campus presents you with all the pleasure life has to offer.
5. Proximity To Source Of Information: Information is what puts you at the right position and it is what you have in your head that takes you ahead. The school hostel gives you first hand information about what recent happenings in school and what may likely happen next. You would be the first to know whether the class would hold or not, whether there would be attendance, what the lecturer is planning, the new materials to read for the text and exams, the Students Union Government
newsletter and many information you need to come out in flying colours.
6. Proximity To Classes: You will be able to rush to class in case of emergency tests and attendance. It would also be easy for you to go back and pick anything you might have forgotten in the hostel. Apart from the instances above, it is good to walk to class just in few minutes. You don’t have to be exhausted anytime you trek to class. It would also save you the transport you would have been burning daily to come to class plus possible hold ups on the road.
7. Stable Water And Power Supply: Most University hostels in Nigeria have alternative sources of power supply. There is always electricity at night when the public electricity power supply interrupts supply. Every student needs electricity at night to cook, read, and do other stuffs. The presence of alternative source of power supply makes hostel better than off campus. Even if you are able to afford a generator off campus, noise and the fact that you have to spend money on fuel is a big
8. School Hostels Are very Affordable: You pay as low as #5,000per session depending on your school. If you don’t have much money to waste on rent and other properties you need to live comfortably outside campus then try the school hostels. Another benefit is that you will always find persons to help you when you are stranded in the hostel. There are many more advantages of staying in school hostel, however, the above points should be enough for you to decide whether to stay in hostel or not.
5 Reasons Why You Should Not Stay In School Hostel:
1. You Will Continue To reapply Every Session: Your hostel fee only lasts for one session, stressful right? . The school sends every student packing at the end of each session. You will always have to reapply for hostel and you may not be lucky to secure a space the next time. The condition to reapply is that you must first pay your school fees. This switch will make you meet different room mates who may not be as nice as those in your first room.
2. Bad Habits And Privacy: You may be wondering how many persons stay per room in the school hostel. The number could be lesser than five for a high quality school hostel. However, the number generally ranges from 8 to 17 persons per room (I am not exaggerating). In Unilag, Uniben, aau and other hostels, you have so many persons living in one room. This will really result to privacy issue. You can’t have personal private life or private property. Your things could be taken without permission and you could meet random persons “crashing” in your bed space. Hostel is very annoying since you will see persons with different philosophies and raw behaviours. You will come across fellow students who may seem psychopathic schizophrenic. The habits displayed there is something else.
3. Dirty School Toilets And Hostel Environment: The School hostel toilets are generally dirty and smell bad… Some students defecate without flushing while other leave feces behind on the floor. It is very disgusting that I won’t want to dwell on that. Many students living in the hostel are dirty and as such mess up the school hostel environment. You will notice different odors in the hostels.
4. Bad Influence And Robbery Issues: With such number of persons in the hostel, there will certainly be bad eggs. Remember, evil communication corrupts good manners. You can change from good, amazing, soft and God fearing boy/girl to a bad girl/boy overnight. You are not immune, it can happen to many persons. This influence can begin from the music, chat, and interactions that happen in the hostel. Another bad thing in the school hostel is that students steal a lot. People steal clothes, boxers, pants, laptops, phones, slippers, bucket, shoes, headset, pot, and many other properties in the hostel. Some of my belongings like clothes, electronic gadget and other was stolen while in the hostel . Although people could break into your house to steal when you stay off campus, however, little domestic stealing is rare.
5. Heat And Bed Bugs: Uniben hostel especially the popularly known Hall 3 and Hall 4 and many other schools hostels are breeding environments for bed bugs. With that number in the room and everyone cooking simultaneously, you could imagine the heat that would be generated. Hostel is not a place for comfort at all.
It is all up to you to decide whether to stay in the school hostel or not. You already have all the points and comparisons you need to make decision. However, I will advice year one students to stay in the hostel… After your 100L you could then decide whether to continue in the hostel or not. I wish you all the best in your academic career…….
(7a) Citizenship education is education that provides the background knowledge necessary to create an ongoing stream of new citizens participating and engaging with the creationREAD MORE
The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) on Sunday advised people in possession of its certificates to guard them well, saying it will not re-issue onREAD MORE
This is to inform all prospective Corps members that the Management of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) has announced the date for the commencementREAD MORE
The management of the Godfrey Okoye University (GOUNI), Ugwuomu-Nike Enugu, has released the amount payable as school fees by fresh and returning undergraduate/postgraduate students ofREAD MORE
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for admission into the One-year Remedial/Pre-degree programmes of the Federal University Lafia for 2019/2020 academic session. The UniversityREAD MORE
This is to inform all the candidates that applied for admission into the Adeyemi College of Education, Ondo, (ACEONDO) part-time NCE programme during the 2018/2019READ MORE
WAEC English language Obj And Essay/Theory and Test of orals Solution Questions and Answer – May/Jan 2019 Expo Runz. English language Obj And Essay/Theory and…
WAEC 2019 MATHEMATICS Obj & Essay Question & Answers Expo. We are here to offer you latest answers on WAEC 2019 MATHEMATICS Obj & Essay…
Aspirants Accuse FUOYE Of Admission Malpractice & Favoritism, Sends Letter containing concrete evidence to The Management. A particular aspirant of the Federal University Oye- Ekiti,…
The authorities of the Niger Delta University (NDU), Wilberforce Island, Bayelsa State have released the academic calendar for the 2018/2019 academic session. NDU Academic Calendar…
If you are a 400L or 500L student and you have not confirmed your status on JAMB Matriculation List, you may not be mobilized for…